Where Tennis, Gin and PC Gaming Dance a Merry Waltz

I like tennis. Women's tennis, to be precise. I don't have time for the men's game because it takes far too long and I'm usually busy working. I work as a proofreader, translation-checker and - for shits 'n grins - I'm a writer. First novel's in the oven. I also like gin, although I don't get as much of it as I want or need or think I deserve. Expensive stuff, gin, and most of my hard-earned goes on my two brilliant little boys. When I'm not working, getting drunk, watching tennis or playing with my kids, I also really enjoy PC gaming (and the occasional Wii-ing). Oh yah, I live in Poland. Viva Las Polska, I love this place.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Wizards Can Do Anything (Eventually)


Wizards Can Do Anything
The whole book is illustrated beautifully throughout, by the talented Dariusz Twardoch
                                 
So, funny thing. Someone sent me a link to this little beauty today. In a nutshell, it was my first book editing assignment, which after seeing the English translation, became full-on ghost-writing.

It's a fantastic children's story, written by a really nice guy called Dariusz Chwiejczak. We worked on this together back in Q4 of 2007. Every Sunday we would have epic telephone conferences about the text; my changes, his ideas and so on. He was very engaged in the process and it was truly a great collaboration that bore an English fruit which I think may even have had a slightly different taste to the original.

That original version was a self-published run of hardbacks in Polish. He then commissioned an English translation, which is what I worked from. I still have my hardback copy somewhere. Unfortunately though, the timing wasn't quite right back then for an  electronic edition, and after a while it sort of disappeared from sight. Until now (I assume).

I have extremely fond memories of that project, unlike about 90% of all the work I've had since then which has had no greater effect than slowly eroding my will to live. Seeing 'Wizards...' up there on Amazon filled me with an alien feeling I haven't known in an absolute age: Pride.

Hey, you gotta get a little duma now and then, right?






No comments:

Post a Comment